8 Benefits of Vacuum Packaging
Vacuum packaging is an easy and efficient way of packaging a variety of products. Vacuum packaging is often used in commercial and residential applications to preserve food. Technically it is considered a form of modified atmosphere packaging (MAP). This is any form of packaging the atmosphere around the product is altered from the external atmosphere.
In this post, we are going to point out the advantages of vacuum packaging. Before pointing out the advantages, we will describe the start-up machines and materials necessary to begin vacuum packaging.
Start-Up Vacuum Packaging Requirements
Vacuum sealers can vary in price and requirements often based on production levels the machine sizes. Determining projected production levels and product sizes prior to purchasing a machine can save on frustration down the road. Another point of consideration should be the option of gas flush. Gas flush injects an inert gas into the sealed package to help increase shelf life.
Once the proper sealer is determined the vacuum bags should be chosen. Vacuum bags come within a variety of sizes with multiple options available. Determining the right vacuum bag for each product will help ensure sleek and professional packaging.
Additional items that may be required depending on the machine chosen: External compressors are often required for many commercial grade vacuum sealers. External gas tanks will also be required for gas flush systems. Most start-up commercial vacuum sealing operations can be started with a $2500 to $4000 initial investment. This should accommodate up to 300 or more packages per hour. Some companies may be able to save a considerable amount of initial cost by going with a high-end residential use vacuum sealer if starting production levels are lower.
8 Vacuum Packaging Benefits
1. Increased Shelf Life - Studies have shown that vacuum packaging can increase product shelf life from 50%-400%. The key to increasing product shelf life is determining the ideal atmosphere within the packaging for the product being packaged. This could be the introduction of an inert gas or the reduction of oxygen to ideal levels. Vacuum packaging is also and preferred form of packaging for many products going into long term freezer storage. The proper vacuum bags can dramatically reduce freezer burn. It is a chosen form of packaging for meat storage around the world.
2. Reduced Product Loss - Increased shelf life directly affects the reduction in product loss for companies inventorying products. The reduced product loss helps to increase bottom lines.
3. Sealed Barrier From External Elements - The most common vacuum bag thickness is a 3 mil thickness with some bags up to a 6-8 mil thickness. With the proper seal, vacuum packaging can protect products from dust, moisture, insects, and a variety of other external elements that may harm or damage products. Vacuum packaging is also an excellent barrier of protection against freezer burn during long term freezer storage.
4. Seals in Flavors - Wet aging meats is a popular form of curing meat before preparing it. This often uses natural juices from the meat with spices and flavors vacuum sealed to lock in flavors during the curing process. Check out this video on wet aging steaks for more information.
5. No Chemical Preservatives Required - Vacuum packaging eliminates the need for chemical preservatives. With the right mixture of oxygen to inert gas, products can last longer without the use of commonly used preservatives. The earth's atmosphere is made up of 78% nitrogen which is the most commonly used inert gas for vacuum packaging.
6. Improved Product Presentation - Most vacuum bags are crystal clear allowing products within the packaging to be displayed on shelves. Vacuum packaging is an affordable packaging solution the enables products to be shelf ready with the application of a custom printed sticker.
7. Multiple Packaging Options - Vacuum sealing materials come with multiple packaging options. Users can buy rolls of film or bags to seal products. Bags can be found with reclosable zippers, easy-open tear notches, foil-lined, channeled, and with a variety of other options to choose from.
8. Quick and Efficient Packaging - With the proper machines and materials, vacuum sealing can be a very efficient process enabling hundreds or thousands of products to be sealed per hour.
If you have any questions about vacuum packaging, call us a 1-800-441-5090 or visit us online at uspackagingandwrapping.com.